Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Jazzin' It Up

This poster's typography demanded my attention. The use of the huge bold 3-D letters for "JAZZ" really mimics the buildings, all the way down to the use of the shadows. You can actually see shadows cast from the real buildings onto the letters. I also like the subtexts being at angles to appear as though they are going down the different streets in New York. It's a very harmonious design because you can tell you are looking at an aerial view of a city, but there is text placed all over the place. I think this is a successful design piece. The function is to grab viewer's attention and get them to visit New York by not only having a striking image, but having text with the music you'd hear, the sports team from the area, and famous people's names. It was designed by Mike Barker. I found this piece in The Annual of the Type Director's Club: Typography 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment