This blog is for my GDS-122 class, and my posts are basically creative graphic design concepts that I stumble upon and find notable to share.
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
Follow the Dotted Line
This little ad was irresistible. I love how the handles of the scissors are swapped with the blades so that both pairs are either just blades or just handles. The same goes for the glue, with one having a cap on each end and one having no caps on either end. The bold paintbox typography, the use of a bright white against the gray background, and the way the word is set at a diagonal makes it a lot more compelling. There's a spot light on the images which creates a cool drop shadow effect. The different colored sets of dotted lines are used in a way the creates angled pointed shapes, like triangles. The pointed ends point at the images below and further pushes the eye to those figures. The color use of the dotted lines and typography works on both the white background areas and the darker gray areas so that they are still legible. There's a lot of movement with the use of the dotted lines, which creates an energetic feel as well. I also found this image in "Paintbox No. 2" by Andrea Fitzner and Albert Winkler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love your attention to detail! It's a really creative ad, and I enjoyed reading your blog about it. I also especially like treatment of the scissors and glue. Clever.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed it! :-)
Delete